The Open Championship Muirfield

I can't say I'm much of a golf fan, but when I was presented with three free tickets to this year’s British Open, I could hardly say no. After all, you could do worse than to spend a day sunbathing, drinking champers and doing a little bit of Tiger spotting. So on Saturday I rounded up my partners in crime, bought enough picnic food to feed an army, and headed down to Muirfield for a day of being ladies who golf... (Kind of)
The Open Championship is held every year, but the last time it was at Muirfield was back in 2002. I remember coming along back then as a little 11 year old, and I must say that I found it quite surreal being back all these years later. A little bit of déjà vu to say the least. 
We set up camp in front of the big screen, tented village and a collection of extremely comfy looking bean bags. I didn't dare take a turn lounging on these bad boys out of pure fear of falling asleep!
 
We got stuck straight into our picnic, and I must say Mr Sainsbury had really done a fabulous job! Spinach and feta filo parcels, falafel, pâté, focaccia- you name it, we had it, and my goodness was it scrumptious. Picnics are one of my absolute favourite ways to eat. I love being able to have a little bit of everything, and I always make sure there’s a hearty spread to choose from. 


We spent a good few hours lounging on the grass, taking in the atmosphere and soaking up the sun. It was a gorgeous day, and the time seemed to just fly by. We didn’t try to venture into any of the stands as we felt we really had the best seats in the house where we were. We could catch all the action from every hole without having to chase the players around the course in some sort of crazy stampede. 
After eating like there was no tomorrow and catching a little bit too much sun...(huge understatement- Just take a look at the picture on my instagram) it was time to take a wee wander around the course.   
We bumped into this pack of cheeky tigers...and a lion, and couldn’t resist posing for a picture with them. Any guesses for who they were supporting? 

After a good wee wander we stumbled upon the 19th hole...otherwise known as the Bollinger tent. The prefect finishing point for a great day. 
 


Our day at The Open couldn’t have been any better. The perfect weather and the perfect company. Here’s to next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment