Cocktails, Chit Chat and Champion Cuisine

I always love the summer months, as for some reason everything just seems better when the sun is shining! Yesterday was no different, and as the sun beat down on Edinburgh, my auntie and I decided that we would celebrate with a wee cocktails and dinner date!
We headed straight for Stockbridge, one of my favourite parts of Edinburgh. Stockbridge is packed with quirky shops, buzzing bars and cute little restaurants, so you really are spoilt for choice when it comes to eating out.
We choose to meet for a drink before dinner in the Bon vivant, a rustic little bar tucked away down a cobbled side street. With wooden tables, Bottle candles and an extensive cocktail list, it really is a special little place. The atmosphere is relaxed and welcoming, and though we didn’t eat there, I’ve heard nothing but great things about the food. I went for a classic mojito, one of my absolute favourite cocktails, and boy did they do a good job! It had the perfect balance of ingredients! Plenty of mint, not too sweet but not too bitter! I’ve had my fair share of bad mojito’s, but this one did not disappoint!

We then headed for Rafaels restaurant, a quirky basement restaurant located on Deanhaugh Street. This restaurant really is an absolute gem , and I would go as far to say it was the best meal out that i have had in months! The service was great, the wine was delicious and the food was downright fantastic! The restaurant is owned and run by Rafael himself, and he goes above and beyond to ensure that you are treated like royalty! The menu is written on a blackboard that is brought to your table. We had the pleasure of having it explained to us by none other than Rafael. He was oozing with passion and it was really quite a special experience to know that we were having our meal cooked by someone who cared so much about what he was creating.
They brought the most beautiful brown bread to our table which was packed with grains and wholemeal goodness. I went for the crayfish and avocado starter followed by the lamb shank as a main. I have to admit that I was so taken by the whole experience that I completely forgot to photograph my food! Awful blogger i know! A great excuse to go back though and I certainly will be! The food was utterly delicious, and the perfect size! I left feeling absolutely satisfied but not stuffed. I cannot recommend Rafael’s enough, so if you are looking for an intimate, unique and truly wonderful dining experience then make sure to pop in for a visit.
Following dinner we decided to head to Chaopraya for a final cocktail. Chaopraya is a Thai restaurant that recently opened in the old Oloroso spot on the corner of Frederick Street and George Street. It is a truly fab venue which boasts an impressive roof terrace that has both covered and uncovered section, giving you a Top notch view of Edinburgh Castle.  
I ordered a strawberry daiquiri which was truly scrumptious! It was presented nicely and the location just seemed to make it taste so much better! I am yet to experience the Chaopraya cuisine, but it is high on my list of places to dine next. For now all I can do is rave about the cocktails and the view, and that is exactly what I plan to do!
Finally, Its the Little Things in life, like spending some quality time with those who mean the most to you!

Rafaels on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment